Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First, the funnies

Since it has been two months since my last blog, and it is now a new year (although almost three weeks in), I thought that posting my little collection of funnies would be a good start. Here goes.
First, I found this witty little piece on YouTube thanks to a publishing-biz email I subscribe to. Those of you who have tried to get published or know someone who has (if you know me, then there you are...) should find this amusing indeed. Heaven knows I did. Nice work, Macmillan!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ78WHpGZ1o
Next, I found a very funny mis-spelling in an article by the Associated Press that ran in the Fresno Bee, which I now subscribe to. It's about cell-phone soap operas that deliver safe-sex messages to women at risk for HIV, etc. Interesting, sure. But what's hilarious is this quote: "'Women who watched the first pilot (cell-phone video) were getting upset, angry, exacerbated,' said nurse educator Rachel Jones." Notice anything wrong there? I hope you do. I sure did. I think what Jones said (and what the stupid reporter heard and wrote down wrong, and then a number of stupid, rushed editors didn't even notice) was that they were "exasperated." Good one. And what's even funnier is that it just doesn't surprise me that no one along the AP food chain caught this. A good copy editor is getting harder and harder to find.
Next is just a plain funny story run in a brief in the Bee. I found a slightly longer version on the Deseret News site. And here is the link:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705277512,00.html
And there you have it for the funny news of the day. Good night and good luck and all that jazz.

No comments: